Welcome to the Burkesville Parks Department
All questions about the park should be directed to phone number: 270-459-0658
Director: David McIntyre
Responsibilities of the Director
The Burkesville City Parks and Recreation Director organizes and directs the community recreation program, maintains park grounds for the Dr. Schickel Park and Hill Top Park and assists in community activities co-sponsored by the city, development of the park. He inspects and reports any damage to equipment or park grounds to the Mayor.
Major Events Supported by Parks and Recreation
The city park is a busy place much of the year fielding youth and adult sports and special community events. Please click on any of the tabs below to learn more about events at your city parks.
Burkesville and Cumberland County are indebted to Dr. Joseph Schickel and his wife Dorothy for service to our community and the Burkesville City Park. After serving in World War II, Dr. Schickel became ourprimary care physician. He treated many of our residents for over 50 years and delivered our children. He and "Mrs. Dorothy" were constant financial supporters of city and county causes during their lifetime. Burkesville City Park is a lasting memorial to the memory of this fine couple.
The Cumberland River Bluegrass Festival starts on the third Thursday in September with some of the finest Bluegrass music around. Musical entertainment, exciting events, and activities for all ages abound. A classic car "Cruise In" is held during the festival. If you missed the Cumberland River Bluegrass Festival in years past, make sure and put it on your calendar. Come and enjoy all the singing, picking and wonderful southern quisine.
The schedule of events include:
- Thursday: Baby Show and Beauty Pageant
- Friday: Free Bluegrass Music
- Saturday: a 5K run, Health Fair, Arts and Crafts, Food, Bluegrass, a River Duck Derby, & Prizes
The European Riders Rally in a third week in May event that begins in the Burkesville City Park. The day long ride winds through our county roads which are some of the most scenic hills and valleys that you will ever ride through on two wheels.
A typical schedule of events includes:
- First Saturday: ATV and Dirt Bike Rodeo and Horse Show
- First Tuesday: 4-H Exhibits
- Monday: Beauty Pageants (Little Miss & Mister) through Miss Cumberland County Fair
- Tuesday: Baby Show, Mother/Daugher, Father/Son Look-a-Like & Miss Cumberland Co Pageant
- Wednesday: Family Fun Night, Midway Amusement Rides
- Thursday: Lawnmower and Power Wheels Derby, Midway Amusement Rides
- Friday: KY Outlaw Truck Pull, Midway Amusement Rides
- Saturday: Demolition Derby and Outlaw Lawnmower Derby, Midway Amusement Rides
Hilltop Park is home to many family reunions, social events, birthdays and always has a grand Memorial Day Celebration. Hilltop Park contains a playground, baseketball court, and restrooms.